Categorized | Internships, Legal, Permits, Procedures

Current Legal Framework

Posted on 15 June 2007 by LegalBeagle

Citizens of the EU and EFTA continue to have to obtain a valid work permit to work in Switzerland, but have now have the same opportunities on the labor market to find employment in Switzerland as do Swiss nationals.

Separate regulations apply to third country nationals who seek work in Switzerland.

Labor Force Flexibility and mobility of workers within Europe
The European job mobility portal – EURES- is the official conduit of information and services for those seeking employment in Switzerland. It explains the rules and regulations now in force for EU nationals who wish to move to Switzerland find a job.

For those wishing to exercise the benefits offered by the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons and work in Switzerland, “EuresInfo Switzerland” provides detailed information about how to go about finding a job in Switzerland.

employment in Switzerland

EFTA / EU nationals wishing to be self-employed in Switzerland
EU/EFTA nationals can now be self-employed in Switzerland. Information on the procedures to follow can be found in the brochure “European Nationals in Switzerland, which explains how to obtain residence in Switzerland and work in a profession in a self-employed capacity.”

Employment and Work Permit Policy for third-country nationals
For citizens from countries other than EU /EFTA, the following restrictions apply:

1) Priority on the Swiss labor market is given to Swiss nationals and EU /EFTA nationals. Therefore, job applicants from third-countries are only be considered when there are no qualified applicants for the job from the EU/EFTA member states.

2) Work permits for third country nationals are only issued in compliance with the established quotas.

3) Wage and working conditions for the advertised job (the same as for Swiss nationals) must be complied with.
There are possible conditions for various professions and groups of individuals: specialists, executives of multinational companies (executive transfer), employees of international organizations and artists. The government’s Federal Office for Migration can answer any questions regarding living and working in Switzerland.

Third-country nationals are not permitted to be self-employed in Switzerland.
As a general rule, self-employment is only possible for third-country nationals AFTER they have obtained their residence permit (C permit).

Internships in Switzerland / third countries
Switzerland has agreements on the exchange of interns with numerous countries to facilitate the obtaining of limited residence and work permits. Those admitted as interns are expected to between 18 and 30 and have finished the relevant vocational training. Interns may only be employed for up to 18 months as such. Information concerning internships and the regulations that govern entry under such a formula are to be found on the Federal Office of Migration (FOM) website.

Comments are closed.

Advertise Here
Advertise Here