Being Self-Employed in Switzerland

Posted on 09 March 2007 by Fixer

The conditions for being self-employed are that you must either have a permanent residence permit known a s a ‘C’ permit (some cantonal governments have granted the right to be self-employed to certain ‘B’ permit holders.) You must have an annual income of at least CHF 50 000, and an economic activity that is not protected in Switzerland. or live in the country for a minimum of 180 days a year.

It is not easy to start up a business in Switzerland; you must be organised and persistent. The authorities review your proposition carefully and are usually concerned about what your business will contribute to the local community so the more convincing you are the easier it becomes.

There are two types of companies that exist; one is the small to medium sized companies which cover 99% of the economy and employ 1.45 million people. The other is big multi-nationals which often do not to sell much inside the country but have substantial revenues trading world-wide.

work from your swiss villaThere are two kinds of businesses set up in Switzerland which are public and private companies and in these two categories there are five types:

* Private limited liability companies
* Partnerships
* Joint stock companies
* General Partnerships
* Sole Proprietorships

Since 2002, EU passport holders have had the right to sSelf-employment in Switzerland. Before that time, the privilege was reserved for C permits-holders and the Swiss and all others had to be salaried – though they could always start their own company if they wanted and employ themselves.

Now any EU passport holder can exercise an independent activity in Switzerland as long as:
The sector of activity is not a special protected sector (for example, it is not allowed to be a notary public), revenue exceeds SF 50,000, and residence in Switzerland is at least 180 days. Write us ( info@ ) if you would like us to post further information about this.

Comments are closed.

Advertise Here
Advertise Here