Archive | Study

New Masters Program in Trading Started — Financial Jobs in Switzerland

Posted on 21 September 2008 by ThomasP

Switzerland – particularly Geneva and Zug – remains a center of trading activity in both raw materials and finished goods, providing a large number of jobs to professionals involved with dealing, brokerage and trading..

In order to satisfy the incessant demand for experienced traders needed by local companies, the University of Geneva has created a
Masters Program in Trading, which starts this October. The Masters in Trading concentrates on trade finance, international trade, and commodities and raw materials trading. The University will be offering as well three other masters programs oriented to other business needs among employers in Switzerland.

The Economics faculty of the University of Geneva explains that Geneva is essentially a trading city. There are over 150 companies
And 6000 professionals working in the domain of trading. The strong concentration of companies involved with trading activities contrasts remarkably with the lack of local opportunities for professional training

in the key disciplines that are central to these companies’ employment requirements.

According the University of Geneva faculty, only Paris, London and the East coast American universities offer this type of curriculum.

The Masters program beginning in October will begin with 16 students (chosen from roughly 50) and will last 3 semesters and alternate between coursework and practical work experience in local trading companies. The student will spend 50% – 70% of his time interning in job in a company and about 40% – 50% in coursework at the University.

The students in the program are all paid for their internships time, thanks to the help of Geneva Trading and Shipping Association.

There is no prerequisite requirement to have experience in the trading field or to have a bachelors degree in economics to enroll: students coming right out of the Arts and Letters faculty are admitted as well.

Across Switzerland there are hundreds of large companies working with financial underwriting or with trading. Jobs in Switzerland in the banking, finance and trading sectors are numerous and professionals with these skills are in high demand.

The University is also simultaneously launching other experimental degree programs, such as the interdisciplinary ‘Life’ Law Studies Program, which will focus on such legal issues as organ donor ship, genetic analyses, medically assisted procreation, and stem cell research. The training will start with intellectual property issues surrounding living organisms, and genetically modified organisms, the contracts for technology transfer of technology. This Masters program, is designed to lead to employment in the fields of health or intellectual property. The Geneva and lake Geneva region is home to quite a few important biotech companies and pharmaceutical companies.

Comments Off

Studying or Working in Swiss Schools …

Posted on 12 March 2007 by info

Since it is possible to visit Switzerland with a 3-month tourist visa in order to look for employment, many people seek work in switzerland or Swiss study opportunities while touring.

To the candidate thinking of selecting a school while visiting Switzerland on a tourist visa: as a rule, the best institutions are those which have been established longest. The oldest institutions are often the best organized, have the most interesting student bodies and the best working conditions.

Hotel Schools
There are many schools that are not regulated and/or do not meet international standards. A short-list of well-established Swiss schools can be found on the website of the Swiss Hotel Schools Association (ASEH).

One advantage to studying (or working) in a Swiss Hotel School is that you will doubtless develop a seasoned palette for a variety of international cuisines. In the work and study environment of the Swiss hospitality industry, one can expect to experience a wide variety of world cuisines as well as meet a wide selection of international students. Meeting people from around the world is part of the fun of studying at a Swiss Hotel School.

Boarding Schools
There are a great many famous private boarding schools, which are oriented to students between the ages of 10 – 20 years old. These schools offer a solid educational preparation for university study. Many of the alumni go on to important achievements in business or politics. Of course, many of the students already come from renowned familiesin entertainment, business, or government. To pursue information about boarding school, see the: Swiss Federation of Private Schools (SFPS), Hotelgasse 1, Postfach 245, CH-3000 Bern 7, Tel. +41-31-328 4050 Fax. +41-31-328 4045, E-mail: Website: There are over 250 schools under the SPFS umbrella, including the most venerable in the country. SPFS gives neutral, objective information on the various school programs and will help you find a suitable school.

Language Schools
There are innumerable language schools as well as language programs at the many Swiss universities. There are also summer and winter camps offering language instruction. tThe best source of information for these is the:
Swiss Federation of Private Schools (SFPS), Hotelgasse 1, Postfach 245, CH-3000 Bern 7, Tel. +41-31-328 4050 Fax. +41-31-328 4045, E-mail: Website:

Living in Switzerland
Keep in mind that living expenses for a student in Switzerland are on the order of about CHF 2000 / month

Comments Off

Studying in Switzerland

Posted on 09 February 2007 by LegalBeagle

Switzerland does not have a national Ministry of Education, in contrast to many other countries: the Swiss cantons have the responsibility for both post-compulsory and compulsory education.

The Confederation (the federal authoritues) co-ordinates recognition of some diplomas and is in charge of professional training, apprenticeships, the specialiszed ‘Hautes Écoles’, and of Federal Institutes of Technology.

Only the ‘maturité’ diploma allows direct access to universities and polytechnics; the other two types of diploma enable entry to specialized ‘Hautes Écoles’ (artistic, technical, teaching, economic, and health and social sciences courses) comparable to IUTs in France or the Fachochschulen in Germany.

There are basically two kinds of university institution: cantonal supported universities and federal institutes of technology, supported by the Confederation. There are additionally institutions that offer professional options in technical, management, social services, health, and fine or applied arts. The academic year in Switzerland runs from October to June and it is advisable to begin administrative procedures before May of the year in which you would like begin study.

Most Swiss schools have adopted the Bologna Agreement recommendations. Studies are divided into Bachelors cycles (180 credits) and Master’s cycles (90 or 120 credits). The Swiss universities now mainly use the international credit system set by ECTS. Over the years, many partnerships have devleoped between universities, schools polytechnics and specialised schools. To start a master’s degree, students must have completed a bachelor’s degree in the same subject area. In rare circumstances, one can change the subject area between the bachelor’s and master’s degree. To pursue a doctorate in Switzerland, the minimum qualification required is a master’s degree.

The cost of study in Swiss universities is relatively low in international terms and Swiss universities and polytechnics welcome large numbers of international students, especially in French-speaking Switzerland; though in some institutions for advanced professional studies, access for international students may be restricted.

Postgraduate programs exist in many federal institutes of technology. Specialist medical training is handled by the Federation of Swiss Doctors (FMH), which awards diplomas. Doctoral degrees are normally awarded for in-depth, original research and doctoral students don’t usually take courses, but rather spend their time in research. In the scientific branches, they usually work as research assistants, allowing them to be self-funding. One must also keep in mind that there are three linguistic regions of Switzerland: French, German and Italian. In most universities language courses are also offered. And many master’s degrees — particularly in engineering or economics– can be taken in English. There are even certain programs taught exclusively through English — this is perhaps becoming a trend in Switzerland.

The costs of study vary by programme. They range from 1,000 to 20,000 Swiss francs per year, but are usually charged at the lower end of that range. Further, it is rare for international students to pay more than Swiss students. The Swiss have not, to date, distinguished between different categories of international students (EU, EEA or others), though this may change with the increasing integration with the European Union. EU nationals (this does not include nationals of the new EU member states) do not need a visa to study in Switzerland. Students are required to register with the cantonal authorities, showing proof of health insurance, sufficient financial resources and proof of registration at a recognised educational establishment.

One should take in to account living expenses –independent of study fees — to live independently in Switzerland — which one may estimate at roughly CHF2,000 per month, for a modest tudent lifestyle.
Switzerland participates in various European Exchange Programmes (ERASMUS, SOCRATES, Leonardo, Unica, etc), and it’s possible to find support for one’s studies through one of these programs. Swiss universities do not have campus-based accommodation, but they all have services to help students find rooms in student houses or in private homes. The cost of student accommodation varies between CHF400 and CHF1000 per month. Foreign students in Switzerland normally have the right to work 20 hours a week, though the workload of postgraduate programmes usually restricts work activity.

Comments Off

Study in Switzerland

Posted on 09 February 2007 by LegalBeagle

The Swiss education system is in the process of reform.

At this time, there are 29 institutions: ten federal universities, two federal schools of technology, seven specialised schools, five teaching schools and five independent institutes. Depending on the canton, one enters higher education between 18 and 20 years of age. Most universities now use the Bologna Process and have adapted their degrees to these new regulations. The most frequent degrees are:

Bachelor (three years)
Examen fédéral (in medicine and pharmacy)
Master (one-and-a-half to two years).
Advanced Studies Degree (diplômes d’études avancées) with a theoretical orientation (one to two years)
Specialized Advanced Studies Degree with a professional orientation (one to three years).
Master of Advanced Studies
Diplômes FMH (in medicine)
Doctorates (four to five years).

There is no strict time limit for the completion of degrees, although graduates are generally older in the German-speaking part of the country. Taxes and matriculation costs vary with each university. For the first two cycles of study, they range from CHF500 to CHF2,000 per semester. Higher grades’ costs are much higher.

Eligibility for higher degrees depends on possessing a licence, a polytechnic or university diploma, a master’s or an examination d’état in order to pursue doctorates and other postgraduate diplomas: .
For postgraduate courses concerning HES: an HES diploma is required. Holders of a university degree are assessed on a case by case basis. Institutions may require higher-than-average grades, work experience or academic recommendations.

Comments Off

Permits to Study

Posted on 06 February 2007 by Monkster

If you are a Liechtenstein national, a recognized political refugee, a foreigner residing in Switzerland ( and either you or your parents have a Swiss work permit for at least five years or you are the child of a diplomat) you will be treated just like a Swiss candidate. Otherwise, If you are already enrolled in a university in your country, inquire about multilateral agreements (such as ERASMUS) or bilateral agreements between your university and a Swiss university. You have to be at least 18 years of age and have a good knowledge of the official language of instruction where you want to study. You should also possess a state-recognized Swiss maturity certificate or a foreign certificate recognized as being equivalent. All Swiss university-level institutions are autonomous in their recognition of certificates and in their decision to admit candidates.
First you need to contact in writingthe university of your choice to request admission to study. You need to submit the following documents with your application: a copy of your degree, a baccalauréat or other school-leaving certificate. Copies of any college or university certificates and examination marks together with an official statement about the content of your studies and a detailed Curriculum Vitae.

Second, when you have received confirmation of acceptance by a Swiss university, contact the Swiss Consultate in your home country for information on entry formalities. In general, besides your passport, you will need proof that you have been accepted by a Swiss university and a guarantee of sufficient financial means to support yourself during your studies. In addition, you will have to produce a Curriculum Vitae stating your reasons for wanting to pursue your studies in Switzerland. The Swiss authorities will also check to ensure that you return to your country once you have completed your studies.

Be careful: tourist visas cannot be processed into student residence permits after your arrival in Switzerland.
When you arrive, you will have to again produce the same documents for the Police and give your address in Switzerland. Your residence permit must be renewed each year.
If you hold a certificate that is only partly recognized or are asked by the university to take an entrance examination, you can sit the examination in Fribourg. It is held twice a year (June and October). There is a special course designed to prepare students for the entrance examination is held in Fribourg between October and end June. You should contact

Fribourg preparatory courses, Route du Jura 1, CH – 1700 Fribourg.

Exceptions to the above are the Ecoles Polytechniques Fédérales in Lausanne and Zurich (Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology) which organize their own entrance examinations. Application deadlines for Zurich are mid-January for the February session and mid-July for the September session. Deadlines for Lausanne are end May for the summer session and mid-August for the autumn session. Lausanne also offers a one-year preparatory course.

Comments Off

Advertise Here
Advertise Here